Saturday, September 12, 2009

?

I have a confession to make, I am completely lost. I have decided to change my life and follow my passion but to be honest, in the last 7 days I have written maybe twice and I have only managed to get to page 12 of Oliver Twist. I decided to fully evolve as a writer, I must be in touch with the classics and Dickens is as classic as it gets; poor Charles, not even his legend can get me past page 15. As I have said many (many) times before, I haven't the slightest idea what I am doing, probably because I haven't the slightest idea of who I am. I mean, to be a writer I have to have a point of view, but my view is really blurry. I chanced into culinary school, they say that when you don't know what to do with your life, go to culinary school, I heard it on Entourage. So I had no idea what I wanted to do and having a knack for cooking and saying all the right things, I got into school. I didn't realize how competitive it was to get in until I was there with all the kids who have loved cooking since they could walk. I never had an easy bake oven and could have cared less about cooking, I was all about the eating! Throughout what should have been the best 2 years of my life, I was, for the most part, a miserable complaining bitch. And my absenteeism was remarkable, the fact that I even passed is a feat in itself. And now I am entering something new and I have no idea where to begin. I switched out the Dickens and started reading " The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch and I must say reading someone's life story, in their words, when they are months from death, helps to realign the thoughts. Finally (finally) the thought of doing something (writing, obviously) fills me with joy, and the thought of writing for a living (someday) makes me really happy. But, as read in Randy's Pausch's book, fundamentals are key and to be successful I need to master these said fundamentals. I am taking a class, a simple continuing education class, an intro of sorts to the art of writing. It's once a week, it's $150 and it's the first step. I may be lost, but I think I'm this close( ) to finding a map.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers