Saturday, September 5, 2009

To write or...

I want to write. I want to put pen to paper, express myself through written prose. However you say it, I want to write.

I know absolutely nothing about writing; I know how to read and I know how to construct a basic matricular essay, but as far as being a writer, well...I know nothing. Hell, I couldn't even come up with a name for this blog.

This new revelation of wanting to be a writer is a scary one; I just finished a 2 year Culinary Arts degree, after 1 year in music school and many years doing nothing, and now I want to be a writer?! Margaret Atwood penned her first novel at 23 years old and I just turned 24. I am most certainly a couple paces behind those lucky few who have known their whole life that they were meant to do this. Despite that, I want to be a writer.

I suppose the key to being a writer is to have something to write about, the most logical thing would be to write about myself, it's supposedly the one thing I should know the most about; but I barely know me, no really, most days I am completely baffled on the topic of myself. The fact that I am about to quit my (really good) cooking job to write is absurd, but I am doing it. You see, this is the third job I have quit this summer, and it has become a bit of a running joke, but I happen to be very serious about this. I am going to write.

I haven't the slightest idea how the literary world works, do I go in search of outlets to write for? Do I write and wait for the offers to roll in? Do I take a class? I could very well be getting ahead of myself because I don't even know what to write about. They say that a writer needs a point of view, but where do I find one? Thus, I have created this blog as a self study in the art of writing. I wil write about everything and anything, as I am in no position to discriminate.

Dear reader (eventually I hope there will be many of you) bear with me, I am new, I am green and I know nothing, the only thing I know is that I want to write.

I hope you will read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers