Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Catch Up

This last week I was playing catch up at my ad sales job and catch up with bills; the shitty kind of catch up that makes me want to hole away, miraculously win the lottery and forget about life. But, yesterday I got to catch up the fun way.

It has been almost 9 months since I graduated and yesterday I attended the inaugural NAIT Meet up” dinner, with all my classmates from school. It was great seeing everyone, talking about the good old days and finding out what people are up to. Some people are deeply entrenched in the monotony of hotel cookery, while others are getting the full on Jamie Oliver sensory experience, some aren't doing anything related to the field of cooking; and, just 1 is sleeping with her boss.

Since my high school graduation, one of my biggest fears is to attend my reunion (high school or college) fat, unsuccessful and subsequently broke; and, yes, I am fully aware of how vain that sounds. However, yesterday among all my old educational cohorts, I felt quite proud of myself. That isn’t to say that they aren’t achieving things in their own lives; but, I held my head high, being able to say, I started a catering company with my best friend AND that we are doing very well.

I mean, I was among the worst students when it came to truancy. I believed, and still (sort of) do, that since I was paying, I could customize my schedule; I viewed the attendance guidelines as just that, a guideline. So I am sure people assumed that once school wrapped that I would attack my career with the type of lackadaisical dedication with which I applied to my attendance. So, needless to say, I feel great about where I have taken myself, in the short amount of time since I have been launched into the real world.

Of course, that isn’t to say that I am not broke, we all know very well that I am and kveching my face off half the time about it; but, at least I am doing it! The" IT” that is, of forging ahead and creating the life that I see for myself; and, loving off my, 3 or 4 times a week, Spin classes, which is taking care of the fat part.


With that being said, Chris and I were up until 3 am last night and up again to start at 8 am this morning, catching up on work and putting together an order. Yesterdays late hour and today’s early morning combined with my excessive weekend, have left me very exhausted.

Now it is time to catch up on my sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers